At Northwold we have adopted healthy school principals.
- We actively encourage the children to make healthy choices
- We serve healthy balanced lunches, and after school snacks.
- We expect all pupils to bring in a healthy packed lunch – even for class outings – and usual school rules are adhered to.
- With the exception of end of term class parties, pupils are only offered water and milk to drink.
- All the water in classrooms is drinking water. Cups are available in the classrooms and staff are on hand to encourage the children to drink water throughout the school day.
A high proportion of our community make food choices based on religion. We never serve pork at Northwold and all school meals are halal. Vegetarian options are also always available.
When pupils bring food in a packed lunch, we ensure the items match up to our healthy principals and only include the following:
- Sandwich or savoury snack like a samosa
- Portion of protein. This fills the children up and includes things like chicken, sausage, fish, beans, eggs. It’s also fattening and it is recommended that children don’t need a portion which is bigger than a playing card.
- Fresh vegetable sticks like carrots/peppers/sweetcorn/tomatoes. Children like lots of colours
- Salad: pasta/mixed/bean etc.
- ONE treat like yogurt/fromage frais/a cereal bar/a fresh piece of fruit/ some dried fruit like a small box of raisins.
We do not allow children to be in possession of sweets, crisps or chocolate as they are expensive and not good for them.
We also encourage portion control and recommend that packed lunches only include a sandwich, a portion of vegetables, one treat like a piece of fruit or a yoghurt and a small bottle of water. These rules apply to all children including those on school trips.